Thursday, February 07, 2008

Simplify

I've been trying to simplify my life. It's an on-going process, and very difficult for someone like me who enjoys and is good at a lot of things.

The American work ethic is a strange one... We are socialized to want the American dream and to work hard for it, which really means we work a lot of hours not doing much at whatever will accrue the most money, so we can have lots of stuff and lots of leisure time. At least this is the message society gave me.

I just keep thinking about whose expectations I'm trying to meet, and to whom I think I'm answering. It's generally a resounding point back at myself--the reverse-people-pleaser. By that, I mean I do things that I think people would want me to do if they ever voiced them. That doesn't even make any sense, I know.

I am sure that the simpler my life is, and the more I recognize its cyclical, seasonal nature, the less stressed out I am. Cutting out the things that don't improve my quality of life allows me to focus on others and take care of myself.

Counter-intuitive, but true.

No comments: