Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Hunker Down

When Hurricane Rita threatened to ravage the city of Houston, the mayor told all us citizens to either leave by Friday or "hunker down" where we were. We chose the second option, and spent three days preparing for the non-storm. I don't mean to make light of the situation for those who were affected, but here are some humorous anecdotes from my experience:

--To brace a glass door, we screwed a picnic table across it
--One house near mine boarded up their windows and spray painted "go away rita" and "bad rita" on the plywood
--While stuck in the horrendous traffic trying to get back to my house, a car with four guys passed us, then passed us again with all the men sans shirts
--When my grandmother got lost coming to my house, we went to look for her... we found her just minutes from my house but I had to jump out in traffic to get her attention


You have to laugh, right?

No comments: