Saturday, November 19, 2005

Safe?


"Aslan a man?" said Mr. Beaver sternly. "Certainly not. I tell you he is the king of the wood and the great Emperor Beyond the Sea. Don't you know who is the King of the Beasts? Aslan is a lion--the lion, the great lion."

"Oooh!" said Susan. "I'd thought he was a man. Is he--quite safe? I shall feel rather nervous about meeting a lion."

"That you will, dearie, and no mistake, said Mrs. Beaver, "if there's anyone who can appear before Aslan without their knees knocking is either braver than most or else just silly."

"Then he isn't safe?" said Lucy.

"Safe?" said Mr. Beaver. "Don't you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? 'Course he isn't safe. But he's good. He's the King, I tell you."

from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, by C. S. Lewis (76-77)

2 comments:

APN said...

I love that quote. Derek Webb uses it on his live album "The House Show" t introduce the song "I Repent" (I think". Regardless of what song it introduces, Lewis never fails to remind us that, no matter how we try to understand and pigeonhole the God we love/serve/live for, He is beyond our comprehension. He is NOT safe, thankfully....

LKH said...

safe and scary don't have to be synonomous either, though we fear God we approach him with confidence.